Friday, September 12, 2008

It's Chili Season! (a little early, but still...)

Ok, it's mid-September... and in Ohio, that means really screwy weather. You know, the kind where you run the heater on the way to work/school in the morning, and the air conditioner on the way home. This is the season when you take a jacket and a t-shirt with you no matter what.

Mid-September also means one scrawny, middle-aged vegan is itching to make the season's inaugural batch of chili. Really, I try to wait until the leaves start falling and you can *shoof* through them in the yard... but it never happens that way.

This year, I have home-grown habanero and jalapeno peppers, so I was even more anxious than usual.

Now, I never make chili the same way twice... this time I opted to use soyrizo... and as much as I generally dislike meat analogues, this turned out pretty tasty. Too bad I forgot pics... but I'll get 'em tonight and update the post.

Also, I tend to favor crockpot-friendly varieties. There's nothing like coming home and having comfort food ready to eat!


Vegan Soyrizo Crockpot Chili

1 12-oz package Morningstar Farms Soyrizo, crumbled
1 40-oz jug tomato juice (alternately, I sometimes use V8 Hot & Spicy)
4 large tomatoes, chopped
1 large red onion, chopped
2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 habanero pepper, seeded and finely minced (wear kitchen gloves!)
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 can light kidney beans, drained
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can sweet yellow corn, drained
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp turmeric

Optional for garnish:

chopped fresh cilantro
Veggie Shreds cheddar "cheese"
Tofutti vegan sour cream

Add all ingredients to a large crockpot and stir. Cook on high for 4 hours; then turn on low and cook an additional 2-3 hours. Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with cilantro, Veggie Shreds and Tofutti sour cream, and enjoy!

Note: Ok, you have probably guessed that I like my chili pretty damned hot. Really, you could probably get away without the habanero just fine... but I think it imparts a distinctive flavor in chili, if you don't mind the heat.

Let Chili Season 2008 begin!

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

It's definitely not too early here for chili season, since it's super CHILLY outside ;0)

This blog optimized using Wordtracker.