Monday, April 21, 2008

Recipe: Vegan Savory Crepes

Tonight was a bit of a dinner stalemate. Carla and I took turns asking each other the ever-dangerous question, "So what do you want for dinner?"

Why is it dangerous? Because when neither of us can come up with anything, I end up heading to the store with absolutely no clue of what I'm going to get into. Then I get all creative, and end up spending half the evening making a huge mess in the kitchen.

We reached such a stalemate tonight, so off I went.

Actually, this time I had at least a vague plan. I remembered a recipe I saw this morning for crepes... so by the time I got to the grocery, I already had devious ideas swirling in my head.

Unlike most of my more creative...uh, creations, this one turned out phenomenal, if a bit messy. And the good thing is, even though I didn't have most of the ingredients on hand to make vegan crepes, now I have the stuff to make about a bazillion of them. So I guess it's a good thing they turned out well!

Anyway, here you go... Vegan Savory Crepes.

I unabashedly swiped the batter recipe from Recipezaar:

1/2 cup soymilk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
1 tsp vegan sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, set in refrigerator and let chill for 2 hours. (Really. That's what the recipe said - 2 hours. I think mine chilled for maybe 20 minutes and the crepes turned out just fine, thankyouverymuch.)

Filling:

1 yellow squash, cut into thin rounds
1 zucchini squash, cut into thin rounds
1 lb asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces (I only used the top 3 inches)
4 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 red bell pepper, sliced
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 tbsp dried sage
1/2 tbsp dried basil
1/4 tbsp dried parsley
Olive oil cooking spray

Place yellow squash, zucchini squash, asparagus, and red bell pepper in vegatble steamer and steam for 30 minutes.

Remove red bell pepper and mushroom slices. Place in a blender with 1/4 cup soy milk, 1/2 of the basil and 1/2 of the sage. Blend until smooth.

Coat a 5-6" cooking pan with olive oil spray, turn on medium heat. Pour in enough crepe batter to cover bottom of pan. You may have to use a wooden spoon to smooth out the batter so it will cover the entire bottom of the pan. Cook batter 2-3 minutes or until the bottom begins to brown. Flip crepe can cook the other side an additional 2-3 minutes.

Transfer crepe to a plate. Cover half of the crepe with the mushroom mixture. Arrange zucchini squash, yellow squash, and asparagus spears over the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle sage and basil on top of the vegetables. Fold the uncovered half of the crepe over the vegetables, and sprinkle dried parsley over the crepe.

Repeat for the additional crepes. My recipe made 4 crepes (plus one that didn't quite make it).

I served these tasty crepes with a simple salad and french bread and Earth Balance vegan butter.

Now, I resolved to start taking pictures of my creations to post on my blog, but I forgot about it until about halfway through dinner. That's okay, though - Carla has informaed me that I will be making these quite often, so I'm sure I'll get another chance soon.

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Talk about a delicious way to settle a meal stalemate - those crepes sound fabulous!

This blog optimized using Wordtracker.